Dragon Dictation is a free voice recognition software that allows you to dictate text messages or emails, copy notes to a clipboard, set reminders, edit documents, update your Facebook status or even send a Tweet. Its voice-to-text transcriptions can be shared via email, by SMS or pasted into any other application.
It is said to be five times faster than manual typing, and it even corrects voice-recognition mistakes on-the-go
Dragon Dictation is said to be five times faster than manual typing, and it even corrects voice-recognition mistakes on-the-go. However, as usually happens with speech-to-text software, the accuracy rate is not 100%. Errors may occur and good pronunciation and voice volume turn out to be essential. In the settings module you can activate the Recognize Names feature and enable/disable the End-of-Speech detection. There you can also adjust language and switch between the supported ones when you desire as the app does not support different languages simultaneously.
How does it work?
Once you are done with the download and setup process of Dragon Dictation, it will ask you if you will allow the app to add the names of your contacts to the vocabulary of the server, so it can easily recognize them when you dictate them. Its interface is really intuitive: there is one button to record, one to access the keyboard to edit the text, and another to share the dictations. When you tap on the record button, another one appears for you to stop the recording when desired, bearing in mind that the free version has a limit of 60 seconds per recording.
You can also say commands and make punctuations while dictating. When it comes to punctuation, simply speak them by saying “period”, “comma”, etc. Special symbols like “%” or “$” are placed in context automatically. Regarding text commands, you can also speak basic ones such as “New Paragraph” or “Next Line”. In Dragon Dictation there are two ways to correct recognition errors: you can tap on the dictated word to get a drop-down list of alternative suggestions, or tap the keyboard icon on the bottom-left corner to use the standard text editing tool.
Dragon Dictation 2.0.28 Features
The unique features of Dragon Dictation are:
- Speech-to-text conversion: voice can be turned into text messages and emails, clipboard notes, reminders, document edits, Facebook status updates and even Tweets
- Ability to send the dictated text as an SMS or email or to paste it into any other software
- Edition and correction capabilities: drop-down list of suggestions for each word
- Support for commands and punctuation marks, as well as for special symbols, which are automatically placed in context
- Integration of contact list names for better recognition (this feature can be disabled)
- Detects end-of-speech
If you want to read more information about Dragon Dictation before you download it, feel free to visit the
The minimum system requirements to correctly download and install Dragon Dictation are listed below:
- iOS 4.0 or later
- Compatible with iPhone, iPad and iPod touch
- Internal or external microphone